I have been meaning to post this amazing piece that Sarah Treem, creator of the Showtime series The Affair, wrote for the British magazine Red. In it, she describes how her life fell apart when her career blew up. It’s a beautifully written, brutally honest piece about the realities of balancing career, family, and marriage.
I love Jennifer Senior’s All Joy and No Fun. It points out that parenthood is far from the “sunshine and flowers” experience that American parents somehow come to expect. I often recommend it to patients; it validates their experiences and helps them feel more compassionate towards themselves (which is a major mission of cognitive-behavioral therapy!) Senior recently sat down with Motherwell to discuss…
Check out this terrific piece about the impossibility of balancing work and life, written by an executive and mother of three. Parents need to come to terms with the fact that this mythical balance cannot be achieved.
Mom Brain Book
Follow me on TwitterTweets by @DrCBTMom
- Mom Brain Q&A with Motherwell Magazine!
- My back to school resolution: To stop trying to facilitate everything for my kids
- Talking maternal emotions, anxiety, and perfectionism with Vivvi
- Perfectionism, comparison-making, and more on the Moms Don’t Have Time to Read Books podast!
- Sharing what I’ve learned about maternal emotions for The Washington Post’s On Parenting