I can’t count the number of times mom patients have complained about “PTA culture” and specifically the expectation that they as mothers should always be the ones volunteering. This excellent piece from On Parenting discusses this problem and how it is particularly challenging for working mothers. It also offers potential solutions. I’m all for any initiatives that bring more dads into the classroom (and therefore reduce the burden on moms!)
Why are moms always expected to be the volunteers?
Mom Brain Book
Follow me on TwitterTweets by @DrCBTMom
- Mom Brain Q&A with Motherwell Magazine!
- My back to school resolution: To stop trying to facilitate everything for my kids
- Talking maternal emotions, anxiety, and perfectionism with Vivvi
- Perfectionism, comparison-making, and more on the Moms Don’t Have Time to Read Books podast!
- Sharing what I’ve learned about maternal emotions for The Washington Post’s On Parenting