I’ve worked with a number of moms who believe that it is their duty as moms to be the Soccer Mom–that is, to attend every single event in which their children participate. For moms with a child who does multiple activities and/or multiple children, this means that afterschool and weekend hours rush by in a blur of tutus, baseballs, and…
I can’t count the number of times mom patients have complained about “PTA culture” and specifically the expectation that they as mothers should always be the ones volunteering. This excellent piece from On Parenting discusses this problem and how it is particularly challenging for working mothers. It also offers potential solutions. I’m all for any initiatives that bring more dads…
I have been meaning to post this amazing piece that Sarah Treem, creator of the Showtime series The Affair, wrote for the British magazine Red. In it, she describes how her life fell apart when her career blew up. It’s a beautifully written, brutally honest piece about the realities of balancing career, family, and marriage.
Are You A Stressed Mom?
Follow me on TwitterTweets by @DrCBTMom
- I talk with Parents magazine about new moms on social media
- Helping moms manage their own back-to-school anxiety
- On being a working mother and paying for time away from your kids
- Dr. CBT Mom Book Club Selection! “Fleishman is in Trouble” features some amazing writing about motherhood
- The importance of paying attention to your “emotional bandwith”