A smart, funny friend of mine who’s a mom of four coined the term “funishment” to describe those times when you take your kids to super-fun, kid-friendly activities and they act as if they’re being punished (whining, crying, etc). I feel like I’m often “funishing” my kids, and was reminded of this phenomenon when I read a recent advice column from On Parenting. The author suggests that perhaps we need to stop doing everything our kids want, all the time. In other words, too much fun may actually be punishing for them, and for us!
What to do about ungrateful kids
Prev post: Mastering nursing in 33 stepsNext post: How parents can cope with their own back-to-school anxiety
You must log in to post a comment.
Are You A Stressed Mom?
Follow me on TwitterTweets by @DrCBTMom
- Some greatest hits from the last two months….
- I talk with Parents magazine about new moms on social media
- Helping moms manage their own back-to-school anxiety
- On being a working mother and paying for time away from your kids
- Dr. CBT Mom Book Club Selection! “Fleishman is in Trouble” features some amazing writing about motherhood