I love Jennifer Senior’s All Joy and No Fun. It points out that parenthood is far from the “sunshine and flowers” experience that American parents somehow come to expect. I often recommend it to patients; it validates their experiences and helps them feel more compassionate towards themselves (which is a major mission of cognitive-behavioral therapy!) Senior recently sat down with Motherwell to discuss…
This piece about over-scheduling kids reminds us that the best way to encourage our children’s creativity is to provide them with free play time. I’d add that over-scheduling kids also impacts parents’ creativity and well-being. Constantly shuttling children from one activity to the next leaves us with little time/energy to engage in creative thinking (or any type of thinking that doesn’t involve…
Six months ago, while I was innocently opening the fridge to grab a yogurt for my two-year-old son, he snuck up behind me and bit me on my butt. My scream heard ‘round the world (or at least ‘round my kitchen) ushered in The Terrible Twos, an era that my older son seemed to bypass entirely but my younger son…
Are You A Stressed Mom?
Follow me on TwitterTweets by @DrCBTMom
- Some greatest hits from the last two months….
- I talk with Parents magazine about new moms on social media
- Helping moms manage their own back-to-school anxiety
- On being a working mother and paying for time away from your kids
- Dr. CBT Mom Book Club Selection! “Fleishman is in Trouble” features some amazing writing about motherhood